What would I do if I were fearless? What opportunities would I accept? What dreams would I pursue?
And how do I become fearless?
Fear is a big struggle for me. I fear that I’m not doing well at my job (even though I’ve been told I’m doing great). I fear that I won’t make the *right* decisions (even though I have the promise of God’s wisdom). And I fear what other people think about me (even though this is not important). And these are just a few!
But how would my life change if I didn’t constantly struggle with that fear, that anxiety?
I would be confident in my job performance. I would trust God to guide me with each decision that I make. I would rest in the knowledge that God created me just the way He wanted me to be, and not worry about the opinions of others. Also, I think that I would take baby steps forward in pursuing God’s purpose for me.
Now the big question is…how do I become fearless? I’ve found several Scriptures that will help us gain some more wisdom regarding this. Even though we may always struggle with the temptation to be afraid, we can rely on God to help us focus our minds on the truths in His Word.
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
- “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
- “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs 29:25
- “I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4
From these verses we can see that the remedy for our fears is trusting in the Person and Word of Christ. This doesn’t mean we won’t struggle with fear. The temptations may continue to plague us. But when we turn to Jesus and rely on Him instead of ourselves, He gives us the power to be fearless.
What are some of your fears? How have you overcome them? What verse is special to you regarding this struggle with fear? I’d love for you to let me know in the comments section! ❤
Photo By: Julia Caesar